Friday, October 31, 2008

Binder Method for Coupon Organization

Coupon Binder:

I use a binder with baseball card holders to organize my coupons. They can be found at Target and Wal-Mart near the baseball cards for about $5/pack. It is a easy visual way to see all of my coupons quickly.

Here are the categories I use for my binder:

Baking
Beverages
Boxed Foods
Breads and Grains
Candy
Canned
Cereal
Condiments/Spices
Deli and Meat
Diet and Nutrition
Frozen
Refigerated
Snacks

Cleaning
Feminine Care
Hair Care
Make-Up
Miscellaneous
Oral Care
Paper
Razors
Restaurants
Rx
Skin Care
Soap and Deoderant
Store Coupons

Baby

Pet Care

The first half is food items. The second half is non food items. I used printer labels and placed them on the actual card holder pages. Some like to use dividers, but I think they take up too much space in my already large binder.

I have a small coupon organizer labeled by store that I put my coupons in when I go shopping. I got it for $1 at the Dollar Spot in Target. I believe they still have them there with the back to school supplies. I also have a small one simply devoted to CVS. I have each transaction separted in that organizer and keep all of my CVS CRTs and ECBs in that one.

More on Organizing:

I don't clip all of my coupons. I only clip the ones that I know I will more than likely use. I ask myself if it is something we get a great price on, would I buy it? I will also clip coupons I know I can give to others, or use for charitable donations.

I don't throw away the coupons I did not clip. I have a hanging file folder bin that I got at Wal-Mart for around $8 and I have about 25 file folders. Each week I label a folder with the date of the inserts and place those unclipped coupons in the bin. That way if there is something I want to use that I didn't clip I can easily find it. Pinchingyourpennies.com has a great sortable coupon list (this one originates here in AZ). Click here to get to the list. I can easily see if I have a coupon and which week and insert it came out in. Here are the abbreviations for the inserts:

SS=Smartsource
V=Valassis
RP=RedPlum
P&G=Proctor&Gamble

Money Saving Mom has a great way that she organizes her coupons. Click here to see her method.
Click here to see how another couponer uses a binder. (

You have to do what works for you. Some people don't like the binder because they think it takes too much time. I don't think it takes much time, mainly because I don't clip every single coupon from the paper. I usually file them while I am watching TV.
Happy Clipping!

No comments:

Your Ad Here